Cathy has been the fiddle/violin instructor at the Blackstone River Theatre (BRT) in Cumberland, RI, since 2006. She teaches "group" classes to
beginner, intermediate and advanced level players, ages 16 and up.
Cathy's approach to teaching beginners is a "classical" approach in fundamentals, form and technique. The repertoire, however, is folk/fiddle from a
wide variety of cultures, styles, and eras. Cathy encourages "ear-playing", but also uses notation (written music) , finger numbers and note-names
when teaching new material. The spirit of group classes is that of engagement, fun, support, and community.
Cathy currently teaches 6 group fiddle classes, for beginners, intermediate and advanced level students.
Classes run from September - November, January - February, and April - May.
More information on classes will be posted on the BRT website as it becomes available: www.riverfolk.org.
To register for classes, please contact email@example.com at Blackstone River Theatre.
Fiddle Classes at Blackstone River Theatre
Classes are $120.00 per student per 8-week session. Minimum needed to hold each class is six. Students must bring: own fiddle and bow, a music
stand, and a recording device. Both playing by ear and some sight reading will be included. Players will be placed in all classes by the instructor's evaluation of skill level. Prepayment necessary!
- 8-Week Continuing Beginner Fiddle - Tuesdays at 6:30 PM (upstairs)
- 8-Week Advanced Intermediate Fiddle - Tuesdays at 7:45 PM
- 8-Week Advanced Fiddle - Wednesdays at 6:30 PM
- 8-Week Advanced Fiddle - Wednesdays at 7:45 PM
- 8-Week Intermediate Beginner Fiddle - Thursdays at 5:30 PM (upstairs)
- 8-Week Advanced Beginner Fiddle - Thursdays at 6:45 PM (upstairs)
- Tuesdays: April 3, 10, 17, 24 and May 8, 15, 22, 29
- Wednesdays: April 4, 11, 18, 25 and May 9, 16, 23, 30
- Thursdays: April 5, 12, 19, 26 and May 10, 17, 24, 31
- Blackstone River Theatre, 549 Broad Street, Cumberland, RI
HOW TO REGISTER
So we can be assured of meeting the minimum needed to hold any of our class offerings, BRT NEEDS PRE-PAYMENT AT LEAST 3 DAYS
BEFORE THE START OF ANY CLASS (and hopefully sooner!) or we'll need to cancel at that time.
If you are interested in a class, please:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to pre-register and then...
- Put a check payable to Blackstone River Theatre in the mail ASAP to:
Blackstone River Theatre
549 Broad Street, Cumberland, RI 02864
Erhu Classes at Blackstone River Theatre
No Erhu classes for the winter session (sorry!)